Thursday, July 7, 2011

the blog about weight loss




So, I just read something that says you should use an image or video every time you blog. I am apparently behind the times with this stuff.



It is time--I am finally back on the Weight Watchers wagon. I began Weight Watchers about 4 1/2 years ago, but I haven't really been hard core for 3 years or so. My first attempt was a success—I reached my goal and became a lifetime member, but when I changed jobs in 2008, I slowly began to lose my weight-management mojo. My previous workplace participated in the “Weight Watchers at work” program (super convenient, and you got a built-in team of moral support with fellow coworkers), and it was great. The leader was fantastic, I knew and worked with many of the people in the class, and it really helped me get excited and stay motivated to live healthier.



The at-work program at the new job, however…well, let’s just say that leader was a little less fantastic, and the group enthusiasm was…well, it sucked. (So much, in fact, that the class ceased to exist shortly after that because they could not recruit enough members to keep it going. Pitiful when you’re talking about 20 people in a place where over 1500 people work, but I digress). So anyway, I was less than pumped up by the lackluster vibe in that class, and while I remained half-assedly committed for the next year or so, that was the beginning of a slow downhill slide in my weight management/healthy living story. I’ve had a few short “that’s it, I’m going back” spurts here and there in the past couple years, but nothing like the enthusiasm I had at the beginning, and in the meantime I’ve gained 10-15 lbs (not terrible for a 3-year span and not insurmountable, but it’s a number that I don’t want to get any bigger. Kind of like my ass).



Then a couple months ago, a friend and I were talking about dieting, and she was saying she wanted to lose some weight, and I mentioned that I had done Weight Watchers (at some point I began talking about it in the past tense, apparently) and that I really liked the program and had success with it. A few weeks ago, she told me that she had started the program and was going to a meeting right down the street from where I live. Score! If I’ve learned anything during this process, it’s that staying on track is much much much easier when you have the moral support of a friend. Doing it “on your own” (without a buddy and without going to meetings) is 100x harder. Excited for her and wanting to support her (and seeing an opportunity to help myself), I told her I’d come with her.



So, that’s about it. I’m back, and I’m adjusting to the new “PointsPlus®” system (if you’ve ever done Weight Watchers but haven’t been back for awhile, the new system is totally different. Overwhelming at first, but now that I’m adjusting to it, I think I like it better).



I never meant for this to be a plug for Weight Watchers (I had just been thinking about how it took me 20 minutes to make a sandwich [pulling out the calculator with every ingredient, re-evaluating my condiment options when I realized the Miracle Whip was expired, getting WAY too excited when I realized the lunch meat was only 1 point per serving instead of 2—you know, super dorky stuff like that] and thought I’d vent about the highs and lows of trying to do this again). But since it sort of has turned into one, I’ll just add that I really am a fan of this program. It is the only “diet” program I’ve ever done, but I’ve heard enough stories about the other ones out there to be confident that Weight Watchers is the real deal. It’s affordable, you don’t have to buy a bunch of extra crap (special bars, meals, or food scales), you basically can still have all your favorite things (in moderation), and it really teaches you how to make healthy eating (and living) a lifestyle change, and not just a phase you suffer through to shed some pounds before going back to enjoying your life again. It’s the most realistic weight loss program I’ve heard of (as far as it fitting into “real life” and giving you realistic expectations of yourself) Another thing I love is that it supports you for the long haul. Since I became a lifetime member, meetings and materials have been completely free (as long as I'm within 2 lbs of my goal. But even now when I'm above my goal, I only have to pay once a month, rather than once a week, until I get back down), so I’m able to get the support I need to stick with it long-term (not that I’ve always taken advantage of that, but it’s nice to know that it’s there when I’ve decided that I’m ready again).



Anyway. Sorry if you’re totally bored by all this stuff, but it does get me excited. I figure if you’re still reading by now (or if you didn't turn back when you read the title of this post), you’re probably somewhere on this journey too—I know the only time I actually care about reading other people’s weight loss stories is when I’m in that mindset myself. If that's the case, feel free to comment and share your own happy or woeful stories :)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! Hope you have great success. I joined weight watchers when Avery was 6 months old and I still hadn't lost an ounce of "baby weight". Within months of joining I lost almost 50 pounds and was loving it. Then, we sold our house and the whirlwind of packing/moving/unpacking took priority over points counting/exercising/water drinking. Also, it was right around then that they switched to points plus. I felt like I had just mastered the old points program and here they were switching it all up on me! While I was in the midst of an overwhelming life change, no less! So I gradually slipped to the point that I totally quit even trying and just as quickly as I had lost the weight I gained back every.last.pound. And then, when I was back at my highest weight, I went and got pregnant. How's that for a slap in the face. (I'm thrilled to be pregnant, I just wasn't planning on that happening at this weight.)
    So needless to say, I'm not loving where I'm at right now and am already thinking about my plan of attack after the baby is born. I agree with everything you said about weight watchers. It's a wonderful program. I gained the weight back because I failed, not because the program failed me. I'm contemplating going the WW route again, but leery of having to learn the new program and also not wanting to shell out the cash. We'll see...
    Sorry to write my life story in your comments. Just letting you know that I'm one of the people who is very interested in what you have to say on this topic! Hope you and Craig are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Sarah! That is awesome that you were so successful your first time with Weight Watchers--you can definitely do it again :) I have felt overwhelmed learning the new points system, especially after so many years of knowing the points for all my favorite stuff and not having to think about it, it's annoying to have to re-think all that stuff. However, I feel like the new system gives me a lot more options, and I feel like I can have a "blip on the radar" (like "Crap, that Wendy's wrap was 12 points??") without getting totally derailed for the day, since they give you a lot more daily points now than they used to. And I LOVE that all fruit is 0 points. Those are my two favorite things so far :)

    It was good to hear from you! Craig and I were just talking about you guys the other day and how we wished we lived closer to each other so we could see you and Erich more often. And congratulations on another baby GIRL!!! How exciting :)

    ReplyDelete