Saturday, April 25, 2009

stating the obvious

I do this. I don't like that I do this, but I do it.

I think I get it from my mother, who is Colonel Obvious (higher ranking than Captain Obvious, according to Wikipedia). The best example of this (most annoying when I was younger, but funny to me now) is the inevitable conversation that ensues whenever watching a movie or a TV show with my mother. Sooner or later, the implausibility (or unlikelihood, or absurdity) of a particular plot line will get to her and she just has to blurt out something like "Why doesn't he just CALL her? That would solve the whole problem!" "But Mom, that wouldn't be funny, and then the show wouldn't be very interesting."

However, I now find myself doing this.

If you watch the show 30 Rock, and you happened to watch it on Thursday, I'd be curious to hear if you had the same thought I did about the Jenna-poisoning-Kenneth storyline:

Brief recap: Lutz gets injured. A cute EMT shows up and tells Jenna he's her biggest fan. He has all her albums, he reads her blog, he loves her (And he's not even gay!). But after he disappears without leaving his name (he did give his phone number to injured Lutz [to give to Jenna], who unfortunately ate the slip of paper [apparently his head injury made him a little loopy]), Jenna begins scheming ways to find him again. The smartest plan she can come up with is to exploit Kenneth's strawberry allergy in hopes that Cute EMT will show up when 911 is called.

I was entertained by the episode, but the Colonel-Obvious's-Daughter part of me kept wondering why Jenna didn't just write about Cute EMT on her blog, which he admitted to reading religiously? He could leave her a comment, and they could get in touch that way. Duh. Of course, the disbelief-suspending part of me realized that anaphylactic shock clearly makes for better television, but every time Jenna whined "How will I ever fiiiiiiiind him again??" I kind of had to grit my teeth a little.

And, okay, I might have yelled at the TV after the third scene where Kenneth is writhing on the floor, clutching his throat and gagging.

Am I turning into my mother? Like most people who ask themselves this question, I really hope not. But if I am, I suppose there are worse qualities I could have inherited.

No comments:

Post a Comment