Monday, April 13, 2009

Okay, I need to use this thing.

I feel like this blog has an identity crisis. When I decided to retire my old blog and make a switch, part of my goal was to be a little less serious--a little more "ordinary life," a little less "all my personal inner thoughts out there." So many of my friends have awesome, this-is-my-daily-life blogs, and I love reading them. I want to be like that! So here's my attempt. We'll see how it goes.

I discovered (/created) a new drink over the weekend. I was at the liquor store, trying to find the fixins for pomegranate martinis (i.e. vodka + cointreau + pomegranate juice). That goal was thwarted. Thwart #1: cointreau apparently costs about one million dollars for a teeny-tiny bottle. My desire to contribute a quality beverage to Saturday's girls' night could have overcome my penny-pincher side, but then came Thwart #2: The store didn't have any pomegranate juice. The guy was like, "Try Kroger or Meijer." I thought to myself, "Buddy, I've got places to go--I intend to finish this errand in one stop. I'm not going to the freaking grocery store." They did, however, have pomegranate liqueur. I have had this before, and it's quite yummy. So, I decided to give it a try--nix the cointreau (Yay! That crap's expensive anyway), get vodka and pomegranate liqueur. However, the pomegranate juice was the non-alcoholic ingredient in this whole blissful concoction--substituting liqueur in its place is just a recipe for quick drunkenness (not my goal). I needed a water-downer substitute. So, I grabbed some club soda and got the frick out of there.

The result? Tasty! A fizzy, fruity martini. However, I'm wondering if it would be better to eliminate the vodka altogether. I tried making it with a small amount of each (vodka and liqueur, which has about half the alcohol of liquor), but it didn't have much flavor, so I ended up adding more and more of the pomegranate liqueur until it tasted "right." However, I'm afraid that upped the booze content a bit too much--these are yummy, but you can really only enjoy one.

Any advice? I'm thinking that maybe adding a fruit juice (either instead of or in addition to the club soda) might be a non-inebriating way to add some flavor, but I'm not sure what fruits go well with pomegranate. I know cointreau has an orange flavor, so maybe orange juice? Okay, that's the end of everyday blog #1 :)

2 comments:

  1. Your fruity, fun drink mojo is far superior to mine. I've always been a strictly beer and wine girl, ever since a veryveryvery bad rum and coke incident in college. Perhaps it's time to move on from that, though? I got Jason an ice-cream maker for his birthday, and apparently you can used it to make frozen margaritas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your persistence as well as resourcefulness in your quest for a fruity alcoholic beverage.

    ReplyDelete